Saturday 1 October 2016

The Gingerbread Man - 100 Days Project: mat time resurces


I have been so excited by the wonderful response from the children to these felt stories that I have been creating. It makes it so worthwhile to do, even if I just manage to make one thing or do one sketch in the evening. I have put the stories into story sacks which are hanging on a little wooden 'tree' in the room, so the Tamariki have full access to them, and every day there are groups of children scattered around the room, sitting on the floor re-telling familiar stories. The language, collaboration, waiting, sharing, and creating that has been going on since I started taking these stories to school has been wonderful.

Today I have finally finished another story which I can't wait to take in on Monday to show the children - The Gingerbread Man!

I made two gingerbread men - one running, and one fresh out of the oven. Details added using an outliner paint - black for the eyes and metallic brown for the smile and buttons.
The little old lady.  While I used the same template as for Jack's mum (see the link for Jack and the Beanstalk), I made her a little differently.  When I made Jack's mum, I had to cut the arms seperately and glue them on, to make them overlap the apron.  This time I tried a different technique that did not require me cutting out extra arms.  When cutting out the pink felt for Mum's dress, I cut around her forearms back up to her skirt, so that her arms could be lifted up over the top of the apron.  
Side view where you can see how her arms lift up over the apron.  

When making people, I cut out a base figure using beige felt, onto which I then glue the clothes and hair.

The cow, horse, chicken, cat and sheep.  I used the horse and sheep template from the story Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
I made the chicken and cow when I made the story Jack and the Beanstalk. The cat was created when I made the story The Gigantic Turnip.

The little old an, and the children chasing after the Gingerbread Man.

The pig.  I accidentally cut off one of the pigs tails, so I drew it in onto it's body.  The second pig will be for another story I am creating.
The fox.

Click on the link for more of my teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment